Welcome to my Mind

Its a dangerous place to be.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mortification of Sin

I am reading The Mortification of Sin by John Owen and it has been a wonderful book so far, not an easy read by any means but a neccessary one I believe. I ran across this part that I wanted to share with my blogging community.

"His graces, as well as his gifts, are bestowed on us to use, exercise and trade with. Not to be daily mortifying sin is to sin against the goodness, kindness, wisdom, grace and love of God, who hath furnished us with a principle of doing it." John Owen

"We must be killing sin or it will be killing us," this is what John Owen says. I just really love this because I think that Christian community has lost the seriousness of our sin, the majesty of God's grace, and the reverant fear of the power and justice of God. I feel like the only way to understand these things is a biblical response to our sin and a deeper and greater knowledge of the character of God. Why do we not mourn our sin? Why do not weep, fast, and pray over our sins. David talked about how his sin even made his bones hurt. Do we feel that way about our sin now? I think for most of us the answer is no. I want to discover the seriousness of my sin see it as God sees it. Secondly, I want to have a deeper knowledge and understanding of the character of God and I want that deeper knowledge to fuel deeper worship of him. Only satisfaction in Him can keep us from seeking satisfaction in sin. We must live and understand Pslam 16:11. In his prescence is fullness of joy and at his right hand are pleasures evermore.


For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live - Romans 8:13

No comments:

Post a Comment